The route

The route

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DAY 26: Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

145 km (90 miles) - total: 3731 km (2318 miles)

Gunnison, Co to Montrose, Co

Another day of passion through the gorges and the canyons of Colorado. Another day of climbing, of fighting steep grades and wintry temperatures. And the scenery is getting better and better.
I had a sleepless night, my legs were still pedaling hard to reach a high snow-covered Pass somewhere in the mountains. After yesterday's effort adrenaline was still rushing and the memories of nailing the 3500mt pass didn't fade at all. I wish I could do it again.

I was on the road at 8 this morning and for the very first time a new and unexpected element to brave awaited me: the cold. The Gunnison bank's clock read 44F (6 C). The town sits pretty high at 7703 ft but 44F was a bit too much for a 1st September morning. I later found out the Gunnison is one of the coldest cities in America with January average temperatures of -8F (-22 C). As soon as I commenced pedaling I realized how cold it was and found it hard to breathe, I didn't feel my hands and feet and of course my cotton clothes were but a feeble protection against such cold air. The sun was out but didn't make a difference and I rode the first 30km shivering to my very core. I was freezing and I kept on going and hoping to warm up in the upcoming hills. It took me a long time to feel warm and at a price. The freezing air gave me a stomach ache that lasted well through the afternoon. I didn't drink much today and the first drink was a hot tea at a grocery store! Luckily the road was incredibly scenic which kept my attention away from the freezing temperatures and for 4 miles I got to ride in a tiny but amazing canyon, the ride was simply awesome.

After about 70 miles I reached the junction with highway 347. The Black Canyon was 6 miles North. The problem was that the road climbed 2000 feet in just over 5 miles. I was cold and had enough of climbing hills but I really wanted to see the place. I was back on the grades I experienced in the Appalachians but here in Colorado I also had the altitude to contend with. But I did well and I reached the gates of the park completely soaked in sweat. I was eager to view the anticipated black walls of the Canyon which kept my motivation up throughout the ascent. In the Park, I rode along the South Rim and I cannot describe how incredible the scenery was. The six-mile South Rim Drive leads to several overlooks from which to view the Gunnison River 2,000 feet below. These cliff walls are made up of rock that is 1.7 billion years old, some of the oldest rocks in North America. In the Canyon, the Painted Wall is the highest cliff in Colorado measuring 2300 ft from the bottom to the top where I was standing. If the Empire State Building stood on the canyon floor, it would reach slightly more than halfway to the top of the cliff! I gazed at the view and I could not take my eyes off the majestic cliffs, the mountains walls and the river that runs through the canyon. Simply breathtaking. The info provided by the park tourist office explained that the canyon has been a mighty barrier to humans. Only its rims, never the gorge, show evidence of human occupation - not even by Ute Indians living in the area since written history began. Actually, the narrowest part of Black Canyon at the river is only 40 feet across. This Canyon of course cannot be compared to the Grand Canyon as the former is smaller but it is just as imposing. Its sheer walls create startling depth, strong winds blast through the rocky walls and the mysterious black gloss and dark shadows make the place incomprehensibly eerie and fascinating.

The history of Colorado is inextricably linked to the history of Native Americans, The area where I am cycling is inhabited by Ute Indians, especially the southern Rocky Mountains. They have been here since around 1500 A.D. making these Native Americans the oldest continuous residents of Colorado. They use to occupy the entire state and today after a series of treaties, the Ute land base of 56 million acres shrunk to less than ten percent of that. The Southern Ute Reservation (the largest Ute group) in Colorado now consists of a strip of arid, desolate land 15 miles wide and 110 miles long. Same old same, history confined the natives within a limited space where poverty levels are very high. I will ride close to the reservation if I can make it to Blanding in the next few days.

After my visit at the Canyon I descended almost 3000ft to Montrose where I am staying tonight. Colorado is providing me with beautiful settings to ride in. I notice that the land becomes drier and stripped of vegetation as I move West. From heavily forested areas with dramatic peaks all around, the land gives way to rugged terrain, less trees, less conifers, more dry bushes and redd clay. Utah will be the drier state of my trip with its red rock parks and long solitary roads. It is time to cash in soon. This is why I came. If I can make it to Utah tomorrow night I think I might just make it to the Grand Canyon before my deadline.

I am leaving the mountains and I am about to enter the deserts of America.


Highway 50, it is just me on the road


Taking a break


The view from West Elk Creek Scenic Byway (Highway 50)


Highway 50 between Sapinero and Cimarron


Highway 50 between Sapinero and Cimarron


Highway 50


From Highway 50


This is the view from the road up to the Black Canyon Park


Entrance to the Park


Black Canyon from Pulpit Rock Overlook


Black Canyon, from Painted Wall Point


Black Canyon, Gunnison Point


Black Canyon, from Gunnison Point


Black Canyon, from Tomichi Point

9 comments:

  1. You continue to amaze with these gorgeous pics Luigi! Breathtaking. You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. La dedica a noi della tappa forse più difficile del tuo bellissimo viaggio ci commuove e ci fa sentire sempre più forte il legame che ci unisce. Oggi ci manchi come e più del solito ma siamo felici che tu realizzi i tuoi sogni. Ti siamo vicini e sappiamo che ci pensi
    nonno & nonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luigi, è tutto stupendo!Panorama mozzafiato, in cui si sente tutta la tua emozione nel gustarli.
    La dedica ai tuoi nonni è commovente: anche se non li conosco, sono un esempio grandioso di come camminare insieme nella vita.
    In questi giorni la mia domanda è: dove si attingono le energie?
    Al tuo rientro i racconti e il confronto.
    Ti seguiamo sempre. La tua sorella acquisita :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cinnazzino, da noi x il freddo il rimedio più facile, economico e immediato è un fascio di giornali fra la maglietta e il petto. Ma mi sa che il problema è risolto perché adesso sicuramente troverai caldo arido. Comunque sei bravissimo e bonalé!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Volevo iniziare il mio commento dicendoti: hai già vinto tutte le sfide, hai provato grandi emozioni e visto posti fantastici, fermati e riposati prima di tormare al lavoro. Poi ho visto le foto di oggi e ho pensato, fà bene a continuare vede posti unici, ma ho ripensato(sono un pò "tribolato" nei pensieri), se uno aspetta a fermarsi dopo aver visto tutto ciò che gli interessa, va a finire che ti ritroviamo fra qualche anno, che arrivi sotto casa nostra in bici. Per farla breve, se puoi cambia l'itinerario e fai due giorni di completo riposo a Las Vegas. Non sono due giorni persi secondo me, perchè ti servono per rielaborare tutto il viaggio e come fare il montaggio di un film e poterselo poi rivedere mentre sei sdraiato al bordo di una piscina con accanto un "bibitone con l'ombrellino" e un sorriso sulle labbra, pensado a quelli vicino a tè che non sanno niente della tua inpresa e casomai sono giorni che non si muovono dalla piscina. Pensaci, perchè gustarsi l'impresa solo quando si torna al lavoro non ha lo stesso sapore di quando la testa è ancora sgombra da pensieri. Concludo salutandoti Luigi, domani parto anch'io e forse mi sarà difficile scriverti ma volevo dirti, era la prima volta che scrivevo su un blog, è stata una bellissima esperinza, tu mi davi l'ispirazione e a me uscivano emozioni sopite e la mente partiva. Voglio anche salutare tutti quelli che hanno condiviso la tua esperienza ho letto i loro commenti e anche se molti non li conosco mi ci sono affezionato GOOD LUCK Micio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Luigi...ho recuperato i 4 giorni di assenza dalla rete facendo una scorpacciata del tuo blog...il viaggio e' ogni giorno piu' bello, ricco e colorato e se ci emozioniamo noi a leggere e guardare le foto chissa' cosa stai vivendo tu che assorbi tutto questo!
    Anche se sei testardo e non cambi idea su quello che ti sei prefissato (lo dimostra il numero di Km pedalati che aumenta di giorno in giorno), se puoi accogli - almeno in parte - il suggerimento di "Micio" sulla pausa per assaporare questa TUA grande bella avventura...
    Noi continuiamo ad accompagnarti nel viaggio con grande affetto. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yahooooo! Oh my goodness. You made it! I love the pics. I know you see these places on television, but it must be a wonder just to stare at such beauty. You have persevered and I am sure it has certainly brought you a feelings of elation and happiness. Did you give a shout or a scream in the canyon and waited for the echo? Man, that would have been awesome. So happy and so proud of you. I am thinking that some day I need to make it to the Canyon as well. God bless you Lu! Keep going. You are giving this a terrific fight and it is bringing you great rewards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luigi,
    I cannot wait to check on your blog each day- the photos and the descriptions!! Your description of the Mississippi sent me floating on a raft down the river.Is English really your second language? You must continue to write or you'll leave many of your readers in withdrawal mode after this journey. My prayers and positive energies are always with you.I know that you'll meet your goals.
    ymg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bellissime le foto del Black Canyon!! Da qui in avanti avrai paesaggi che saranno sempre piu' belli.
    Un Salutone per ora

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete