The route

The route

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

DAY 32: ROUTE 66!

111 km (69 miles) - total: 4498 km (2794 miles)

Grand Canyon South Rim, Az to Ash Fork, Az

I am so lucky. After the Appalachians, after crossing the Mississippi, after Kansas, after Colorado and the Monarch Pass, after Utah, after the Monument Valley, after the Grand Canyon, I get to ride my bicycle on historic route 66. What else can I ask for?

I will not put the blog to sleep just yet as with the remaining 3 days I cannot think of anything better to do than to continue cycling. I will try to make it to Las Vegas. The bicycle does not feel as smooth and the tires are seriously worn out, so the bicycle might die out before I do!

My attempt to get to Vegas took a serious blow today as unexpected rain and a big dip in temperature hit Grand Canyon this morning. I didn't feel like getting soaked so I waited for the rain to let up, which didn't happen until 11.30. That left me with only a few hours of daylight and with a very wet and slippery road. I still made good time to Williams, where I crossed paths with the historic route 66! As I left the town, I followed unpaved country road 124. I cycled and walked on that unpaved road for 11 miles. I did not ride the bike as conditions on this bit were horrible and I feared my tires would be seriously damaged. That totally killed my chances of getting as far as I would have liked. I cycled on until 8pm but then I had to stop in Ash Fork before total darkness would leave me stranded. I was lucky to find a motel with wifi and a little restaurant where I helped myself to 3 main courses. The waitress could not believe how much I ate. It's past 11 now and I still feel in great shape and in even better spirits. I think it is the adrenaline that's keeping me awake. My planned stop for today's stage was Seligman but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Is it irrelevant at this point that I entered the Pacific time zone?



Tusayan, it is never fun to watch the rain


It is raining in the Grand Canyon and it looks like I am sitting this one out


A beautiful bed of flowers along highway 64


Flintstones Bedrock City in Valle, along Highway 64


When I entered Williams and I saw a Los Angeles sign for the very first time I thought about it...500 miles in 3 days...now that's a challenge...but for once I decide to use my head...


I am under the spell of route 66 and americana


Under the sign of US 66 route in Williams






The unpaved road from Williams, I cycled, I walked, I run. It took me 6 hours to cover 23 miles, by the time I left the Forest I was starving and frustrated


Almost 8pm when I reach a populated area, I felt like a savage coming down the mountains

5 comments:

  1. Buenisimas las fotos!!
    ya falta poco!!
    un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. c'è L'HO fatta, non potevo non farti i miei complimenti per la riuscita dell'impresa, ma più ancora ti volevo fare i complimeti perchè hai realizzato un tuo sogno. Tutti sognamo, ma solo pochi audaci si prendono la responsabilità di cercare di realizzarli, tu sei uno di quelli. Evito di dire che sei uno stimolo per quelli che hanno timore di provarci, allora dico che sono contento di aver condiviso il tuo sogno attraverso il blog GOOD LUCK Micio

    ReplyDelete
  3. ciao Luis, che bello sentirti così in forma e contento! E che buffo che sul blog si parli tanto sul tema "realizzare i sogni sì/no"! Contribuisco con una memorable quote:
    "When you give up your dream, you die". (Try to guess the source!)
    Secondo me questo viaggio è bellissimo anche per la tua capacità di trasmettere, a noi che leggiamo, le tue emozioni e le tue passioni attraverso gli scritti e le foto. Una performance solo atletica sarebbe stata noiosa.
    Ha ragione quell'illustre bulgnais:
    "E come dicono i proverbi
    e lo dice anche mio zio
    mente sana in corpo sano
    e adesso son convinto anch'io.
    Ci vuole molto allenamento sai,
    allenamento sai
    per stare dritti contro il vento sai,
    controvento sai".
    Baci.
    Piu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought that once you reached the GC you would have killed your blog...but we still have some more...And you are still going...I totally forgot that Vegas was close to the Grand Canyon. Hopefully no gambling for you...hahaha! I am happy that you still have the energy to keep going. As for the bike, with a few repairs, she can certainly carry you for another adventure.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luigi: BRAVO!! FELICITATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud of you. You are not like anyone else that I know - one of a kind(but then we knew that when you were in Bdos)! Now you are addicted to the bike, the challenge, the adventure. How are you going to re-enter a normal ho hum life? Please tell us in your blog how you plan to return to DC. Best wishes and please continue to blog, long after you return home - it may help with the withdrawal symptoms (and mine too as I will miss reading daily about your accomplishments)!

    ReplyDelete