The route

The route

Monday, September 6, 2010

DAY 31: GRAND CANYON! I MADE IT!



131 km (82 miles) - total: 4397 km (2732 miles)

Tuba City, Az to Grand Canyon Village, Az

I made it! I reached my goal today. I crossed that imaginary finishing line tightly extended at the Grand Canyon National Park gates. No trophy awarded, no cameras to immortalize the moment, no pats on the shoulders from onlookers. Just swarms of people and busloads of loud tourists. I stopped in the middle of the parking lot and walked the bicycle through the parked vehicles as if nothing had happened, as if nothing had changed in my life. All I know for sure is that I did it and I did it 3 days ahead of schedule.
When I woke up this morning I had that 'last day of school' feeling. I packed my backpack and silently checked out of the motel. And I was on the road again. Not many thoughts...just one...get my ass to the Grand Canyon. I just flew today. Not even a steady head wind could deter me, I clocked the first 40kms in 1h 15min. The road unfolded like a straight sword shining in the sunlight and continued on a steady ascent all the way to the gates of the Park. I saw the Gran Canyon sign early in the morning but even then I knew I was gonna make it comfortably. Despite a very long climb, during which I gained 3000ft, from 4000ft at Tuba City to the 7000ft of the South Rim- I passed through the South Rim gates just after 1pm. And that was it. I could relax, I could enjoy the scenery and put away my worries of not making it.

I must thank all my friends and acquaintances and I thank them for their support over these past 31 days. I was not so sure about writing a 'live' journal during a bicycle trip. However, it proved to be a successful decision indeed. Initially, I had my reservations. Besides having to carry the weight of the laptop on my shoulders, I knew that I would have to keep a clear mind at the end of each day, after many hours of strenuous physical exercise, in order to be able to report faithfully and clearly on the day's action. I hope I have achieved that. I hope I have been expressive, desriptive and that style of writing made it all at least mildly entertaining. My hope was to communicate and to capture a small fraction of what I have lived through for 31 days on the road. I find it hard to translate my life on the road from my heart and mind to the 'screen' in a meaningful and coherent way. I simply tried to share the unbridled freedom that cycling on the roads of America has given me.

This is my Conrad's shadow-line, I have fullfilled my childish dream. I now I can put away childish things and get on with my life.

I am not gonna say much about the Grand Canyon, much has been written and much has been said about this massive scar on the surface of the earth sculpted by the muddy waters of the Colorado river. It is spectacular, imposing, humbling, inspiring. Everything people say about it it is true. I think you just have to see it for yourself. I cycled all afternoon along the South Rim enjoying the views and snapping away as much as I could. I certainly had a mixture of emotions after completing what has been an incredibly long journey. I am emotionally overloaded at the moment and I feel a pinch of fatigue sneaking in. A coat of mental fatigue is gradually taking hold of my brain. I find it hard to process the information. I have before me a deluge of emotions, images, sounds, colors, thoughts that it is all so overwhelming at the moment. Mentally, I can let it go, all the fear, all the anguish, all the attention, all the discipline, all the self-constriction, the mental confinement, the rigor...all of that I am gonna let it all go. It is exhausting.

Exactly one month on the road, 31 days, 2 rest days, 1 flat tire, zero injuries, lots of wind and lots of road. My legs feel heavy now and the sun is setting over the Canyon.



I am away, on my final stage


When I see this sign I am still 73 miles away from the Canyon but my heart begins to pound hard


Junction with H64, the last turn for me!


After many attempts, this is the picture I was looking for


Bikers on Highway 64


12.44pm, I see the sign I have been dreaming about for 31 days


V-victory


She carried me across the US for 31 days







12 comments:

  1. Bravissimo Luis, ce l'hai fatta!!!
    Sono felice con te e ti abbraccio fortissimo!
    Piugix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lo sapevamo tutti che ce l'avresti fatta.... Ti potevano fermare solo gli elementi naturali, che so un terremoto o una tempesta ..., ma forse avresti continuato a pedalare anche fra trombe d'aria o crepacci!!
    La prossima avventura te la propongo io .... il giro del mondo in barca a vela... sto formando l'equipaggio.... Ma forse tu deciderai di farla in solitario! E' troppo facile con un gruppo! A presto! per un periodo di defaticamento e check delle tue condizioni! De Coach

    ReplyDelete
  3. La notizia รจ arrivata anche qui! Bravissimo!!!!!!
    Micio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray!!!!! So glad you made it, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. complimenti per la foto sul rim con la bici! Te l'ha fatta Stevie Wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una sola parola: GRANDE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sei arrivato a meta in netto anticipo...GRANDE Luigi!
    Alla fine di questa avventura quotidiana durata 31 giorni, la cosa piu' bella, se chiudo gli occhi, e' vedere il tuo grande sorriso che ti illumina il volto.
    A distanza di anni e di un incredibile viaggio coast to coast sui greyhound, anche questa impresa in bicicletta, ancora piu' spettacolare, ti regala il volto vero dell'America...quello che cercavi.
    Complimenti carissimo Luigi...ci vediamo a Washington per una meritatissima carbonara :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaaayyyy! As the crowd roars! You did it!!!! 1 dream of reaching the Grand Canyon by bicycle. Actually reaching the Grand Canyon. Priceless! Well, your determination and tenacity on the road has certainly paid off.
    The sad part is that I guess we will now have to say goodbye to the "Cycling West" blog for now..unless you got more coming. On that note, all is have to say to you is Bravo Luigi! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ale ed io ti abbiamo pensato tanto mentre ce ne stavamo in panciolle su una affollatissima spiaggia italiana sotto il sole di ferragosto. Da li' la tua avventura sembrava ancora piu' surreale. Non avevamo dubbi che ce l'avresti fatta. Accenderemo il barbecue e brinderemo in tuo onore appena torni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luigi,
    Congratulations!Well done! What a tremendous effort, great spirit, deep reflection and historical and geographical commentary! It was an honour to share in your journey.
    Enjoy a well deserved rest!
    YMG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now why were you fussing 9 days ago about possibly not making it?? 3 DAYS TO SPARE!!! YAY LUI!! I'm so proud of you Lui I could just cry!!! Sharing this experience with you has been absolutely amazing! I feel a sense of accomplishment too!! Then I think...but wait...I haven't DONE anything!! LOL Your writing made me believe I was right there with you.

    You know, you've now set the bar exceptionally high for all your future adventures...and we know there'll be lots more to come from you. I only hope you dont go stir crazy when you get back to life and a regular working day!

    Just in case you didnt know....I THINK YOU'RE AMAZING LUI!! I'm really glad to have a friend like you ;) Hugs and kisses from the Keps!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulazioni amico!! I am so proud of you! I told you that you'd make it! How do you feel now I wonder. What on earth is left for you to tackle?! I'm sure you'll find something. All I can say again is well done!

    I will kind of miss the daily updates but you are due a well earned rest. Do I hear a book in the works from this adventure?!

    Many, many hugs!!

    ReplyDelete