The route

The route

Friday, July 2, 2010

-40, thoughts

The countdown to the beginning of my adventure has begun. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day as I endeavor to accomplish the first stage of the trip on Saturday and I will make the return trip the next day. I'm cycling from DC to the south side of Fredericksburg. It'll be approx. an 85-mile ride to be repeated the next day. Sunday it's supposed to hit 80 degrees, I have covered the first 14 miles several times, up to leefy Mount Vernon, the rest is new territory and I am carrying weight on my back with my rucksack. It'll be interesting to see how my body reacts.

Today I bought more gear: gloves, a special perspiration jersey, padded shorts, sunglasses and other important pieces of equipment. There is a substantial financial sacrifice to be made to accomplish my dream. My preparation alone is costing me over 3 and 1/2 grands, bicycle included. Money aside, other thoughts on my mind include the idea of going solo. Biking across America alone poses several challenges, safety first of all. Being on my own exposes me to risks. The US can be a tricky, unpredictable country and traffic is moody around here. I will have to be on my guard at all times. That is my only worry.

2 comments:

  1. Go Luigi Go!!! This is the first test...and as your official coach I recommend you, first of all, to eat properly!!! No Nutella!!! light food , full of energy....and don't forget to bring with you the energy bars and a lot,a lot of drinks ... it will be very hot this week end! Yesterday you have tested the night ride and the lights have worked well ....so I am satisfied!
    Finally I recommend you to wear properly as agreed... in order not to incur in the problems that you know! At this point "In bocca al lupo!!!!" and... as you know... if you have any problems or difficulties you can call me and I will arrive with the fan club to pick you up wherever you are!!! THE COACH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to your coach! Words of wisdom indeed.

    ReplyDelete