The route

The route

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The plan



The route that I have chosen follows the Transamerica Trail from Fredericksburg, VA to Pueblo, CO. This is a route which was established in 1976 by the Adventure Cycling Association to celebrate America's bicentennial. At Pueblo, CO I will leave the Transamerica trail and will follow the Western Express to Grand Junction, UT. From there on, I will be cycling along highways 191, 163 and 160 on the so-called Grand Canyon Connector to the south gate of the Gran Canyon National Park, AZ which is my final destination. The whole route is over 2,800 miles long and it crosses 8 states.
It is a tentative outline as I am sure my course will be slighlty compromised by contigencies such as scenery attractions, traffic, weather, puntcures, stray dogs, and personal injuries and probably more. If I can put in between 80 and 100 miles per day I should be able to get to the Grand Canyon in just over 30 days. I reckon that the first 5 or 6 days are gonna be the most difficult as I will hit some tough climbs in the Appalachians early on in the trip. I am hoping to make up for that on the Great Plains of Kansas where the road is flat and riding should be smooth. In journals which I perused on this website people often hail the first part of the trip as the toughest one.

10 comments:

  1. So Lui, what's your plan for overnight stays? Hostels? Inns? Motels? Hotels? Any combination thereof? Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda, yes! it will be hotels/motels all the way. Camping is not an option and I hope I won't have to rough it depending on where I am, we'll see what the road brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ciao luigi, il tuo viaggio mi fa venire in mente una trasmissione radiofonica italiana - caterpillar - in onda tutti i giorni nel tardo pomeriggio - i cui conduttori si mettono in contatto, e le seguono con costanza, con persone che fanno sfide come la tua. sarebbe carino sentirti per radio! leggo che stai procedendo con sempre maggior convizione e stai perfezionando ogni dettaglio. per ora ti mando un forte abbraccio Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. just in case....
    Caterpillar
    in onda dal lunedì al venerdì dalle 18 alle 19.30
    email in diretta direttaradio2@rai.it
    caterpillar@rai.it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Luigi! As you know, I am concerned about your nutritional intake during this incredible adventure (especially since you failed my test last week!). As you know, I am a vegetarian so my advice would not be valid. Thus, I asked a very good friend of mine, one I trust completely, an athlete in the makings and an omnivore. She recommended the following websites. Let me know if they are helpful to you. Best of luck, Maria

    "Here are a couple of articles with the water/carb/protein equation."

    http://www.lifemojo.com/lifestyle/diet-for-cyclists-2250699

    http://www.helium.com/items/1269106-cyclists-diet-tips

    http://www.livestrong.com/article/19328-nutrition-tips-cyclists/

    as well as this short video

    http://www.ehow.com/video_2366046_nutrition-tips-competitive-cyclists.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, are you telling me I have to quit my cheeseburgers, pizza and nutella?? :-)
    Thanks for the valuable info you posted here, very very useful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No comment....and you are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see I am not the only one to be concerned about your diet...if we want to call it DIET!!
    Stop Nutella ang fat.....!! De Coach

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Luigi,

    I am really impressed by your endeavour. I am not the least concerned, however, that you will make it, and, as an Italian your "home diet" will get you to your destination.
    I wish you great weather and that all crazy drivers will stay away ...
    Have a great and safe trip.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buen Viaje!!
    Mucha suerte...ya seguiremos
    tus comentarios y aventuras
    en el blog!!
    cuidate!!
    Edu.

    ReplyDelete