The route

The route

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Looking for America (-2)

All done and dusted, just a few hours to go now... I can finally stop daydreaming. It is time to go. The West is out there, waiting for me. Excitement clouds my mind. After much deliberation, I have decided that I am taking the pepper spray with me, those dogs will chase me! I have been reading several journals and many cyclists do complain about dogs in Kentucky. I can take the mountains, the cold, the rain, the tornados, the confederate flags and even the easy riders with their strident and shining motorbikes but I hate dogs running after me lunging forward to sink their teeth in my legs. I have laid out my equipment over my bed, the maps, all the tools, the clothes, the power food. I am ready. Over the past 5 weeks, I have covered over 1600 km so I have proper training in my legs. My heart and mind are in the right place now it's up to my legs, the bike and the weather to do their job!!! Before I set off I wish to thank God or whoever is out there for this chance! I have never been a cyclist and never wanted to be one but for some reason I have always wanted to do this. I began dreaming about it when I was 16 years old and now that I am a few hours away from the dream I cannot believe I am about to do it! America...here I come!

17 comments:

  1. ...e una pistola a pallettoni?? Ludovica

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, vedo se ho posto nello zaino!! L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last advices from your Coach:
    These advices should be for you like the Bible!!
    1)remember to check the weather conditions both in your town of departure and in the town of arrival EVERY DAY!!!
    2)bring with you a lot of water…especially if the weather is very hot!
    3)bring with you some energetic food
    4)don’t travel during the night
    5)eat properly
    6)feel your body….if you feel weak or not in perfect conditions…STOP!!! Take a rest for one or two days!!! This is a vacation….not a race!!!
    7)Read what to do in case of thunderstorm and lightening….they are dangerous! (ie do not shelter under a tree!!)
    8)Buy the pepper spray against wild animals…
    9)Be careful to the people you meet….there are a lot of lunatics around… (you are one of them!!!)
    10)USE YOUR HEAD!!!! I know this is very difficult for you sometimes!!!! :-)ok I was kidding…
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A LOT OF FUN!!!! THIS WILL BE A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE THAT I AM SURE YOU WILL ENJOY A LOT!!!
    DE COACH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coach, what would I do without you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First....listen to "De Coach" who is giving you great advice. Second, I may have pepper spray at home that I can give you. They are usually found in gun stores, but I don't know of any in DC. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella LUIGI sono Maurizio ho visto le foto del tuo cavallo di carbonio direi che dal punto di vista meccanico sei a posto, ora ci vogliono muscoli, polmoni,cuore ma soprattutto testa per intraprendere questa avventura e per me quando sabato parti hai gia vinto perchè ci vuole coraggio anche solo a mettersi sui pedali in bocca al lupo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up homey! Al final decidiste llevar el pepper spray:) En mi bolita magica veo que este viaje va a ser muy inspirador para ti. Disfruta cada momento presente.
    A pedalear se ha dicho!
    Besitos,
    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...ma due settimane a Cesenatico no??
    Angelo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angelo il saggio!!!!Anche Rimini o Riccione.....Ludovica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luigi! Good luck with your incredible trip! Keep us posted. Ekaterina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luigi, vai tranquillo...ce la farai....non intestardirti nel raggiungere a tutti i costi la tua meta giornaliera e prendi il tempo che ti serve....la gara e' solo con te stesso! Good luck! Alessandro

    ReplyDelete
  12. bello, in bocca al lupo e amracmand!

    ReplyDelete
  13. tanti anni di montagna mi hanno insegnato che i percorsi difficili sono anche i piu' belli....ti auguro una vacanza emozionante, alla scoperta di colori, espressioni, sfumature che solo un viaggiatore autentico puo' e sa cogliere. Tra una pedalata e l'altra tieni a mente quello che e' importante perche' questa "attraversata" sia una gran bella avventura. Come ha scritto Maurizio, la sfida con te stesso a questo punto l'hai gia' vinta...
    Abbi tanta buona cura di te...qui siamo in tanti a fare il tifo :)

    Un abbraccio forte (soprattutto per quando piove a dirotto o il sole picchia forte)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. In bocca al lupo Luigi!! Noi ti seguiremo da qui.....tienici aggiornati!

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! The time has come. It seemed not so long ago you had this idea whirling in your head and now you are on your way. Good luck and vaya con Dios! Oh yeah, if you have a couple of friends with bdays in August, give us a good birthday spin as a gift.:) I hope that is a bit of motivation for ya!
    BTW, De Coach did give you good advice. Keep the list handy! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure what time you're off today. If you're on the road already, stay safe and enjoy every precious moment of it. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts along the way. Nuff luv!!

    ReplyDelete