The route

The route

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

DAY 19: Catch me if you can

261 km (162 miles) - total: 2669 km (1658 miles)

Pittsburg, Ks to Wichita, Ks

That's right, you're reading right: 261 km, 162 miles, in one day.
My legs got me this far: Wichita, right in the middle of America.

I set off this morning with one goal and one goal only, to get to Wichita. I spent last night analyzing the map and it turned out that I had two options if I wanted to hit a hotel-serviced town: either a short day or an almost impossibly long one. Honestly, I didn't think I could make it, I have never pushed myself on a bicycle to this extent and given the unpredictability of weather conditions, it was really up to the Gods of wind to decide. I set my sights on Fredonia, a mere 110km saunter from Pittsburg. If the winds were favorable or absent I knew I could do better. Determined to challenge myself, I was up at 6 and I gorged myself on cereals, pancakes and other snacks and was duly on the road by 7.10. The morning air was pretty chilly and for once I could not wait for the sun to come out. Surrounded by wheat and corn fields I pushed hard, really hard, like never before in this trip. The road was flat and traffic-free. What surprised me is that I felt in superb shape and clocked 100km in just over 3 hours. I got to Fredonia at 11.30 and by 11.15 I had already done 100km. I felt like never before in perfect physical condition and with the 11mph wind blowing from north, north east, while still causing some trouble, it was much more rideable than yesterday. By noon the road took a slight incline and my swift ride slowed considerably. However, I took advantage of the other long sections of flat terrain, a large highway and lots of motivation to challenge myself and I flew on my bike Wichita-bound hitting 200km by 4pm. By that time I knew I was gonna get to Wichita and could not wait to see the city sign. It is pretty much accepted as a fact that Kansas is flat and it didn't disappoint today, although some of the locals seem really proud of their 'mountains' aka 'The Flint Hills'. I was cycling through these today, and they barely registered after some of the grades I had to deal with in the east. I am reliably informed (by Wikipedia) in fact that most scientists rank Kansas somewhere between 20th and 30th flattest state. Actually, I didn't think Kansas would be as green as it is. One would associate the color yellow with Kansas and while the endless crop fields seem to be the prevailing image of Kansas, the area I passed through today was dedicated to cattle, with herds far bigger than any I have seen so far grazing on very lush and plentiful fields. I cannot fully describe the pastoral beauty of the Mid-west states, I am so glad I have seen it.

Before entering the intricate and noisy Wichita city belt, and after the landmark of 250km, I briefly stopped in Augusta, located on the shores of the Walnut river, a place once inhabited by large numbers of Native American groups. I took a stroll through the tiny historic downtown and wanted to keep going. The weather was absolutely perfect, as it has been all day, not a cloud in the sky and temperatures of about 84-88. When I reached the outskirts of Wichita I was immediately engulfed by traffic. I turned North and went through the downtown streets to take a look at the Air Capital of the World (Wichita is one of the world's most important centers for the manufacture of aircraft, all the major companies have been or are located here). The downtown area is very pleasant as much as the Old Town, a charming historic warehouse district with early 20th-century buildings and brick streets. I rode through the entire town and it took me at least one hour to get from the East side, a very green and pleasant residential area, all the way to the West side. It was a slow ride and I met another cyclist, Troy, who kindly gave valuable info about the town. After more weaving though traffic and traffic lights at about 6.30pm, which meant that I have been riding for almost 12 hours today, a record for me! I finally checked into a hotel, Hampton Inn on the west outskirts of Wichita, and had a most needed shower.

Wichita is the largest city on my trip and after long days of riding in the country through hills and mountains and small towns, today walking through a proper size city felt different and slightly uncomfortable. Central Wichita is laid out in a grid pattern. This town has seen its neighborhoods, like the historic Delano district, go through a see-saw history, through recessions and economic booms. The oil boom generated an explosion of buildings development which lasted until the depression era. I liked the Delano district, a colorful area rich in history and cultural significance. I wish I could write more about Wichita but I cannot think properly and need some food real bad. Today while I was pushing hard on those pedals I said to myself that if I made it Wichita tonight I would treat myself to my favorite dinner: two large pizzas!

Tonight I am pretty exhausted but extremely pleased with myself, 260 km in one day, first and surely last time I accomplish such a feat in my life! I will take it easy tomorrow. After the big city it's time for the broad expanses of grassland and corn fields of Kansas, standing tall against the wind and poised to face the American bison.


Girard at 7.45am, another ghost town


Kansas boasts many wind turbines


Highway 47, as empty as it gets


Pit stop, this self taken picture didn't work very well


Route 400, my lifeline today


Kansas barn. I have a thing for barns!


My ride was briefly paused because of a passing freight train


200kms by 3.39pm, not bad for a rookie


Augusta, charming downtown district


Arkansas river, downtown Wichita

9 comments:

  1. Man you are an animal! 162 miles! Next thing you will want to go on the Tour de France!! I agree with you though...best to ease up tomorrow. Looks like Kansas has its challenges with the wind but you'll be fine. I love the little history lessons I am getting every day.
    Cool watch! You've got a timer on the bike and on your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never katch you!!
    to fast legs!!
    relax vas muy rápido!!
    descansa un poco...
    ya falta poco para el Gran Cañon!!
    take care en los pueblos fantasmas!!
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luigi, far parte del tuo viaggio è un grandissimo regalo. mi emoziono: vedo e sento i posti che attraversi.
    hai tutta la mia più grande ammirazione

    ReplyDelete
  4. l'ultimo messaggio in italiano è mio!!!
    federica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grande Gibo!! che bello leggerti e seguirti in questo viaggio. E chi ti ferma più!!! Oggi festeggiamo un anno e ti pensiamo!!! Siamo con te. Ale&Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOCMEL! Non è un commento originale ma, dopo questo numero alla Eddy Merckx, ci sta alla grande! E per l'occasione esco dall'ombra per dire che, anche in questa occasione, SONO ORGOGLIOSA DI MIO FIGLIO!!!! Ti abbraccio forte
    PS: Pensa che strana coincidenza: indovina il titolo del film che c'è stasera in tv italiana. 5 parole, la prima è catch, l'ultima can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sei fantastico! appena uno si abitua a sentirti dire che fai dai 150 ai 180 km, come se dicessi, vado in negozio a prendere il latte in bicicletta, dal cilindro fai uscire un "numero" che lascia a bocca aperta. Uso le parole di esperti di ciclismo, quelli che superano i 250 km sono "cavalli di razza". Qui mi lego a un altro discorso, la solitudine dei numeri uno, sei per forza costretto a fare queste imprese da solo, è difficile trovare persone che riescano a tenere il tuo ritmo. Non dico niente della mia amata campagna, perchè mi godo la tua impresa. Vorrei anche dire che solo i fuori classe riescono. come te, a tenere alta la tensione ma non lo dico per non sembrare eccessivo, allora lo penso solo. GOOD LUCK Micio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alla grande Luigi!!! 261 Km!!! Belle foto e avventura fantastica. Mi raccomando continua cosi'!!!

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ci sono viaggi che apparentemente fai in solitudine, invece sono condivisi, accompagnati... viaggi capaci di creare un movimento interiore, silenzioso e profondo in chi li vive, anche a distanza.
    Sono erranze che creano chiamano chiunque a mettersi in viaggio, ciascuno a suo modo e con i suoi tempi, e sono quelle più autentiche! GRAZIE Luigi per questo dono!
    PS: in dialetto lesinese aggiungo "Bbad'a te!"
    Ti vogliamo bene!

    ReplyDelete