The route

The route

Monday, August 30, 2010

DAY 24: Necessary stop

65 km (40 miles) - total: 3392 km (2107 miles)

Pueblo, Co to Canon City, Co

Since I had to wait for the bicycle store to open (9.30) I was able to sleep better without the usual frenzy of having to hit the road early. I also knew that it was going to be a short day so I was able to ride at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery which is really something as it opens up 360 degrees wide and colorful. I kept my eyes glued to the peaks in front of me, the road I cycled on today, highway 50, leads directly to the Rockies. It's funny how I went from wild excitement at barely making out the Rockies yesterday from afar to the same wild excitement at being right at their foot. And I cannot wait for the climb. I have thought about it the whole trip.

As I said, this was another short day due to the necessary checks on the bicycle. After the tune-up, I was able to leave Pueblo at around 11 and after three hours of easy cycling I reached Canon City, the last town before the Mountains. The wind picked up in the last 10 miles and at times it was as bad as on Saturday. I think I am not being very lucky with the wind as it has been my foe for 3 days on the trot. It is extremely frustrating because there is nothing I can do to fight the wind, it is a lost fray. Other than that, the ride to Canon City was smooth as I made my way through the rolling foothills of the Rockies inching ever close to the distant peaks. I had to cut my day short at 2pm, I feel like I have wasted two days but come to think of it I know I did the right thing as I needed the spare tubes. There are no bicycle stores until the very end of my trip so if something was to happen among the mountains I could be in serious trouble without the needed gear. And plus, my legs got a bit of extra rest time, even though I don't like to have too much rest as you drop your guard and get a bit sloppy.

The town of Canon City, at an elevation of 5332ft (1625 mt), is a very pretty urban centre nestled at the foothills of the mountains. In Pueblo, I could see the Rockies in the distance, but having traveled 35 miles West now I see the mountains right at the end of the town streets. The hills are arid and dry, peppered with small bushes. The wind keeps sweeping down the valley walls but it is nowhere near the intensity of Kansas. The heat is not too bad either, 84 today. The famous Royal Gorge Park is just a stone's throw away from Canon City, there is a train that takes you through the Canyon on the bridge deck which hangs 955 feet above the Arkansas River, which was the highest bridge in the world from 1929, the year it was built, until 2003. Canon City is also famous for being the location of 13 state and federal prisons. I actually rode past three of them on the way into town. The city has an historic downtown area around Main st, it was built in 1858 during the famous Pike's Peak Gold Rush which kicked into gear when the California Gold Rush dried up and didn't last very long.

So, today at dinner I kept thinking about how to take on the pass tomorrow, will I be able to get there before noon? Will I have to split the attempt into two stages? I can see myself pushing on those steep grades. I can taste my sweat and feel the pain already. Tomorrow is gonna be the biggest day of my trip. I will have an early night because I want to be on the road by 6.30 to beat the wind and the heat. If I won't make it all the way to the pass in a single day, I will have to stop in La Salida tomorrow night and then attack Monarch Pass on Wed. I am ready.



Colorado...wide open!


Highway 50 leads to the Mountains


Canon City


A security guard on the watchtower of one of the city's 13 correctional facilities


The Rockies right behind the city


Canon City, Main st at dusk

8 comments:

  1. As daunting as the Rockies look, you're ready Lui...you're ready!!! You gave us a scare with the spill and the bee (good that you're not allergic! Do you have any kind of first aid supplies with you...btw???) but, we know you'll persevere and keep going while time is still on your side.

    We're all rooting for you to make it to the GC Lui, but if you dont, because of losing time due to the headwinds etc, you should still be extremely proud of what you've accomplished on this trip. Considering where you began, and where you are now, your end point (where ever it is) will only attest to your acheivements on this trip. You've created a lifetime of memories in only a few short weeks.

    Please be careful in the Rockies... vaya con Dios mi amigo. You're ready Lui...the bike is ready...just go for it!! Big hugs from all the QK girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que cielos tan hermosos. Me encanta tu prosa, tan rapida y vivida como tu bicicleta! Me lo he disfrutado todo y te he imaginado en cada lugar con los perros corriendo detras tuyo, las subidas en los cerros, las laderas del campo, los caballos acogiendote timidamente, tus grandiosos desayunos, mmmmmm! Hoy eres mi heroe del dia : ) Que Dios (o la Diosa?) te acompane, cuidate mucho y que los angelitos vayan contigo. Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with RQK Luigi. You're doing great! It's good to hear you in such high spirits. This is your pep talk for the day. I can say one thing, even if you do not make it to the Grand Canyon you're gonna get very, very close! Everyone's real proud of you.

    Fascinating history. 13 state and federal prisons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Il grande giorno si avvicina, l'attesa ti cancella il mondo, i pensieri sono rivolti tutti a lei, sua maestà la montagna e mentre ti scrivo tu sei lì che spingi sui pedali. Si può romanzare sulla ascesa, ma mi viene solo da dire, speriamo che non tiri vento, ti meriti dopo tutto quello che hai fatto per arrivare fin qui, di assaporare il gusto dell'impresa e io sono curioso di leggere cosa provi quando arrivi al passo. Il cielo e la luce delle foto mi hanno catturato, mi sembrava di vedere le cartoline degli anni sessanta un pò sbiadite ma cariche di nostalgia di un mondo cambiato troppo in fretta e che non c'è più. Incrocio le dita e spero che se proprio il vento non può fare a meno di soffiare, sia alle tue spalle e come una mano delicata ti spinga dolcemente(forse sono stato un pò troppo poetico ma a me le imprese ispirano sempre dolcezza). GOOD LUCK Micio

    ReplyDelete
  5. che belle foto!!! incrocio le dita anch'io qui da Tara sperando che non ci sia vento né oggi né nei prossimi giorni! At salut e ti mando un bacio grande, bello

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing adventure! In bocca al lupo per domani! FORZA!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. siamo orgogliosi di quello che fai perché hai trovato un altro modo per mostrare la tua forza, resistenza e grande tenacia. Leggerti ogni giorno ci esalta e ci commuove. In bocca al lupo x il seguito
    Gerald & Ellen O'Hara

    ReplyDelete
  8. "La mia ruota in ogni raggio
    è temprata dal coraggio
    e sul cerchio in piedi splende
    la Fortuna senza bende"
    Vito x G. d'Annunzio

    ReplyDelete