The route

The route

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DAY 5: "just like coming down the Galibier"

158km (98 miles) - total: 736km (457 miles)

Radford, VA to Damascus, VA

The most satisfying day of the trip so far. A huge ascent to the highest elevation of the route (3758ft) and the hilarious 11-mile descent during which I averaged 40+ kph. It felt wonderful to be able to 'let it loose' down the slope. I had the road almost all for myself. The road, shaded by two tall walls of leafy trees, twisted round gorges, in between creeks, under hanging rock formations and tunnels of leaves. The fresh air pinched my skin and the deep shade cooled my body. Adrenaline took care of the rest. Shooting downhill like I did today must be just like coming down the legendary Galibier without the chasing group behind that is! It was complete, unrestrained freedom!
I reached Damascus, a haven for hikers, at 5.30pm and was lucky to find the Hikers Inn, where I am the only guest and the landlady, a cheerful woman in her 60s, was kind enough to let me do the laundry so I was able to wash all my clothes. The place is quaint and peaceful with smooth wooden floors and antique furniture. Suzanne, the owner, has a vegetable and a flower garden out back. History has it that people from West Virginia are quiet and proud. It is true. However, their pride is quickly concealed by an unexpected abundance of kindness reflected in respectful and dignified gestures.

I was happy to leave the grotty motel I stayed in last night! I did not sleep well, the bed was too small and the mattress too saggy. So I hit the road this morning at 7.15am and rode through a hilly section of Virginia still shrouded in a haze. I toiled up short steep hills and felt slightly disheartened because having to shift gear every 100 yards for over 2 hours and then down and up again is not exactly ideal cycling. When I got to Wytheville, at 11 am, I felt extremely tired and for a second I thought I was done for the day. I sat in a diner out of a 50s movie, I wouldn't have been surprised if James Dean had walked in. After two tasty ham and cheese I began to ponder my options: call it a day or keep going? I rested my head on the table and found some inner strenght building up in my veins so in no time I was back on the saddle. The road again was hilly and tough but it afforded some great scenery. I stopped a few more times to stock on water and chocolate along the way at isolated grocery stores and I knew that the morning hills foreshadowed what was to come: the big ascent of Mount Rogers National Park where all the Appalachian trails meet. I thought about resting an extra day before taking it on but at the late hour of 4pm I gave it try. I put my music on and my legs felt strong and I pedaled up the ascent all fired up! The scenery was really beautiful as the pictures, I hope, do some justice to it. When I got to the top of the ascent totally soaked in sweat I stopped for a few seconds to look at the view with a big smile on my face. The descent was the highlight of the day, I came down the mountain smiling almost all the way, feeling free and happy. The scenery was incredible, the road ringed by tall trees with thick foliage which kept the sun out of my eyes. The smell of nature was incredibly fresh and I could enjoy it all without traffic. The languid life along the back roads of West Virginia has an incredible appeal to me. These back country lanes with the sound of nature all around are the perfect scenery for cycling. An unmatched peace, a soothing sense of solitude, an unbearable feeling of belonging to nature and its little things have pervaded me. I was alone and I had my bicycle, I did not need anything else. I will never forget this.

I have been cycling for 5 solid days and I am still in Virginia!! If it wasn't for the changing scenery I would say I am not making any progress. And yet, if all goes to plan, tomorrow night I may be in Kentucky...but let's not get head of myself.



Rest stop


Fog clings to the hills


Road winds up through the forest


More climbs..


..and more


Damascus, Main st


Are we entering the bible belt? yep!


and more

6 comments:

  1. Hi Luigi! Mother Nature must be smiling upon you or maybe it’s just your good luck to not have experienced a day of torrential rain. Good for you as it is good for us to be able to continue reading your daily saga. I don’t watch soap operas, but when I did, it was impossible to miss a daily episode. Your blog has become my soap opera; I can’t wait to read the next day’s event! Virginia is a large state and since it’s now my home state, your journey makes me wonder what I a have been missing out. “The Hiker’s Inn”, what a great name and so appropriate. You must have felt like a king strolling in, in the middle of nowhere being pampered by a stranger, not bad! I love the photos depicting “the bible belt”…..good place to say a little prayer. Oh yeah, I told De Coach to continue to “badger” you with good advice. Always listen to “De Coach”!!! Be safe, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see a photo of you with the local natives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Luigi! I can only imagine the tranquility and wonderment that you experience when you are cycling thru those wooded areas. Just to be surrounded by nature is amazing. I am sure that it gives you a greater sense of appreciation for the gifts on this earth. Just riding down on Ocean Pkwy in NY used to give me a sense of peace and abandonment,and that is an area that is always busy and full of exhaust fumes. This is why I can only imagine riding thru such a place as VA. Ok,I am beginning to miss my bike.
    I cannot believe that you are still in VA. I never realised that VA is that big. VA seems to be a simple and unspoiled place as is depicted by your wonderful pics. I did not even remember that VA was part of the bible belt. Thank God for that.
    BTW, love the supplies you stock up on, water and the all healthy and energy giving chocolate bar!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Luigi, It looks like your trip is becoming a kind of religious enlightenment …..are you having visions when you pedal up in your ascent?? This is like Saul in his way to Damascus… the man most Christians of the time may have considered to be somewhat of a monster (like you!! :-), reached his day of conversion! He was literally knocked down on the road to Damascus and directly called by God. .. as he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him…..” All those pics with the Bible ref…make me think!!! Did you see some lights flashing around you??? If you did… relax!! they were just thunderbolts!!! You are not having visions!!! It is only bad weather! Anyway, today you should be in Kentucky!!! Out of the Bible belt!! But Kentucky makes me think of the KFC……and because this is my job I will do one of my recommendations!!! Don’t eat that greasy unhealthy chicken!! Luckily you don’t like fries…..but be careful with your food!!! That is the fuel for your body to work properly! And as I use the best gas for my car, Super plus Unleaded…you should eat the super plus healthy food!!! I hope you don’t mind if I continue to make my recommendations but I know that psychologically people tend to relax after some time when they becomes accustomed to the perils…I don’t want you to lower your bar just because you are satisfied that you are doing very well!!! IN FACT YOU ARE DOING VERY WELL!!! And here we are all very proud of you….then continues like that!!!!! LAst thing....I want to second the request made by Maria……I want to see a pic of you…to see that you are in good condition!! De Coach

    ReplyDelete
  5. LUIGI, ho letto (meglio, mi sono fatto tradurre) con grande concentrazione le emozioni e le sensazioni che provi quando affronti una salita. Un risultato lo hai già ottenuto: ho ripensato alle mie salite e ho sentito una gran voglia di ritornare sui pedali. Ho capito un'altra cosa: quando torni in Italia ti regalerò una maglia gialla, lo dico ora e non lo ripeto. Fino alla fine del blog, ti saluterò sempre con GOOD LUCK! Micio

    ReplyDelete
  6. ciao Luis, i tuoi racconti sono bellissimi anzi amazing (è la parola più gettonata in questo blog!) Micio dice che sei a contatto con un'America che nessun dépliant mostra, infatti le foto sono fantastiche. Devo stampare i tuoi report perché qualcuno - guess who -vuol farli tradurre x conservarli sulla sedia dello studio. Io intanto glieli traduco per telefono. Micio dice anche che, siccome domani sera noi ci facciamo una bella grigliata in campagna, con tutto il rispetto x il tuo coach, se alla sera ti butti su un bel pollo fritto, se ne giova il morale e l'anima (qualche maialatina non ha mai ucciso nessuno). Suderai un po' di più il giorno dopo ma partirai con un sorrisone che, se mangi un brodino, non ze l'hai micca veh! At salut! Cotechina & Micio

    ReplyDelete