The route

The route

Sunday, August 15, 2010

DAY 9: Goodbye mountains!

152 km (94 miles) - total: 1163 km (723 miles)

Hazard, Ky to Berea, Ky

As I set off this morning I knew one thing: I had enough of the Appalachians. I had enough of thinking how to gather my strength to overcome a hill or to focus on the steep descent. And so the story goes that after 9 grueling days I am finally able to put the mountains behind and I can look forward to the Great Plains of America. Still a bit to go before I can reach the open spaces though but I can safely say that the worst is behind me.
This morning I woke up to a low and heavy mist completely inhibiting visibility. I had to wait for it to lift so I started my day at the very late hour of 9am, quite late for a 150km day with several challenging climbs along the way. Although the big climbs are behind, today I had to deal with several short ascents and they were by far the steepest of the whole trip, with 15% plus gradient. The first half or so of the day was extremely slow and tiring. I cycled through a number of tiny villages comprising a post office and a handful of worn out houses and trailers. The hills got fewer and shorter and after about 100km the terrain began to flatten out and mountains gave way to rolling hills. It was a very encouraging sign, which gave me a lot of motivation. I stopped at a ridicolously shabby country store and I studied the map. It indicated that just before Berea the Appalachians would be gone! While the map tells me that I am making progress nothing can be as rewarding as seeing the scenery change around you.

This morning I was up early as I wanted to put in as much as possible before the heat but the mist changed all that. I took my time at breakfast and waited. The sun came out and stayed out for most of the day, it got really hot around 2pm and I took shelter in a gas station in the middle of nowhere and drank 2 lt of water and gatorade. I sat on a bench and fell asleep for a while. I woke up startled like I had missed a train, I bolted and grabbed my bicycle. Then the weather rapidly changed and I was caught in the rain for about 30min. At one point, during a long twisting descending road there was a break in the hills and I could see the plains of central Kentucky, I could not stop to take a picture as I was coming down pretty fast down that slope. But at that moment I knew that I had tamed the Appalachians for good!!

My hard fought battle with dogs continued today but I am proud to say that I outpaced them all. These little bitches come out of nowhere and are really dangerous as they pose a serious threat by running in front of the bicycle and getting caught in a spoke or something. Others just come out and start barking and try to lunge at you. I don't know if they would ever bite but I am not anxious to find out.

After a couple of hours of cycling today I stumbled upon the tiny village of Buckhorn where there is a most beautiful wooden church, the log cathedral, a massive building made of Kentucky log. Sunday mass was about to start, a group of people invited me to join but after a brief chat I thanked them and proceeded to continue with my journey. In the afternoon I completed my last big climb and passed through a small town called Big Hill. Apparently it is called Big Hill because it is located at the foot of what is considered the first 'big hill' of the Appalachians range. It certainly felt great to look at the hill and the sign indicating the gradient from my perspective traveling West. From there it was only a short push to Berea, which is a lovely university town, dubbed the "gateway to the Appalachians", if you heading East that is. The city itself is incredibly clean and well kept. It reminded me of an alluring small Yorkshire country village. Berea is a tourist attraction and the university, founded in 1855, has a distinctive history of allowing poor students to enroll without having to pay tuition. Arts and craft have also a very special place here, with many fairs and festivals all year round. I enjoyed a late afternoon stroll walking my bicycle through the college buildings which look a lot like Harvard in Boston. After today's ride sightseeing in Berea was the perfect reward, the icing on the cake of claiming the Appalachians!

After several days of climbing mountains, traveling through the shabbiness of trailer parks, sprinting from barking dogs, seeing confederate flags and bare-chested and tattooed men and the likes, I must admit that entering Berea felt like returning to civilization! It won't last long though, as the big open spaces of America, preceding the Rockies (impossible to imagine at this stage) beckon.


Political campaign signs are everywhere in Eastern Kentucky, particularly in Knott county where once you're elected you've got a good job.



The beginning of a very steep descent



The log church in Buckhorn


The interiors are based on Scandinavian architecture


The tiny village of Mckee, considered a 'jewel' in Jackson county, it was first settled by native Americans. The 2000 census revealed that 53% of the population live below the poverty line.



Mountains giving way to rolling hills...



...and countryside!



Arts and Crafts store in Berea



The famous college, this is Draper building

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful job Luigi! Coach must be proud of you! I absolutely love the church! Stunning. I love stuff like that! How much longer do you think before you ditch those vicious dogs?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ci meritiamo 4 in geografia. Me ne sono accorta solo oggi che non sei passato per il WestVirg. Perdonaci. Baciamm'e mman'. I tre ignorantoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luigi,
    please allow me to express my deep felt respect to the conquerer of the Appalachians.
    It is really interesting to read your reports. I guess after the trip you will be offered a job at either a sports magazine or national geographic.
    Take care and watch out for the dogs.
    With greetings from the German office.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sono contento che il giorno di riposo ti abbia ricaricato le "pile". Ora, più che i paesaggi, mi colpiscono i paesini che attraversi. Anche se loro non lo sanno grazie a te hanno avuto la possibilità di farsi conoscere anche in Italia. Mi piace conoscere l'America attraverso i tuoi pedali e anche il mondo umano che cambia da zona a zona è interessante che tu lo annoti nel tuo blog GOOD LUCK Micio

    ReplyDelete
  5. ciao Luigi,ogni giorno ascoltiamo i tuoi racconti con grande partecipazione. Voglio dirti che hai una profonda e multiforme capacità di osservazione perché la indirizzi in tutte le direzioni: l'America che tu racconti è molto più interessante e intensa di quella dei libri o delle guide. Con grande affetto
    Franchito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muy buenas las fotos!!!
    animo!!! forza!!
    take care!!!
    te seguimos desde España!!
    Edu y Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lu! Happy to hear that the hardest part of the treck is behind you. It is good to see that that the US still has a good deal of untouched areas. I tell ya, when you are in big cities, you completely forget that these things exist, and that it is actually good to take time off and explore and appreciate nature.
    As far as the little bow wows are concerned, I feel really bad for them, of course I would feel worse if you were bitten, but you might need to have a stick handy to keep them away.:( Loved the church. So simple and looks very inviting. You know, I am happy to hear that even in these times, one can still stumble upon a free Uni education. That institution may have made such a wonderful contributions not only to the less unfortunate but also to the society that surrounds them.
    Alright champ, keep your energy going and I am sure your legs will not disappoint you. Keep trekking!

    BTW, You are Welcome MOM!

    ReplyDelete