The route

The route

Sunday, August 8, 2010

DAY 2: "...all men are created equal..."

157 km (97.5 miles) - total: 307 km (190 miles)

Fredericksburg, VA to Charlottsville, VA

Another stunning day for cycling. How long is this going to last?? Perfect weather to see me off this morning when I got on the bike at 7am and ideal climate to greet me this late afternoon at my final destination for the day. I finished my day at about 4.45pm, with a nice and easy pace making sure that I have plenty in the tank for the big climb tomorrow. I can see the Appalachians from where I am...
Today it was just wonderful to ride through the Virginia country lanes. My alarm went off at 5.30 but I fiddled about for another hour before I checked out of the Hotel. I rode the first 70 km off route on Road 208 as I wanted to see the historic Spotsylvania courthouse and thus took a short cut from Fredericksburg to Mineral where I connected with the ACA route again. It was a brilliant choice as the road 208 to lake Anna offered a relaxing and enjoyable ride with intimate views of rural Virginia. Green fields, rolling hills, white picket fences, barns, quiet country lanes, animals. I love Virginia. I saw a white-tailed deer just off the road! Those 30 miles or so have been the best bit of the trip so far. The beauty of this State is somehow eclipsed by the more renowned, glossy presidential and civil war-related places. However, Virginia has so much to offer. Today, more than yesterday, I got to see the hidden gems of stately Virginia. I stopped several times along the way to soak it in. I urge anyone who is not crazy enough to cycle to rent a car and just dally at their leisure up and down the Virginia hills.

When I left the hotel with the sun barely up, the morning air was crisp and refreshing. However, by 10 am the temperature rose as the sun fully unveiled its power; so the air was humid and incredibly hot. After crossing scenic Lake Anna, dotted with boats and ski jets, I reached Mineral, my halfpoint for the day. There I had lunch in a roadside diner and enjoyed a tasty country ham sandwich. From Mineral to Monticello it was a solitary ride through a hilly section of the green and leefy countryside. When I was toiling up the hills in the haze of the early afternoon hours of a baking hot summer day to the chirping of crickets and the stillness of nature in windless conditions completely soaked in sweat listening to my own breath, I realized that this is what is all about, the bicycle and me as one shrouded in mother nature. All I have to do is follow the road and enjoy the ride.

Before I entered the Charlottsville urban area, I passed by the gates of President Monroe's estate and T. Jefferson's plantation of Monticello. The guy played a huge role in writing the Declaration of Independence and Charlottesville has several places that celebrate his accomplishments. I did not want to stop to visit the grounds so I continued to the town where I took a brief stroll through historic downtown and soon after I found myself craving for a shower and a hot dinner.

The ride was tougher then yesterday as the hills got steeper and more frequent which made it difficult to pace myself. And today I was even hungrier than yesterday and ate all sorts of things, from power bars to chocolate bars. Big day tomorrow as I will attempt to climb part of the backbone of Eastern US: the Appalachians. I will ride on the famed Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't wait!



The old Courthouse


Crossing lake Anna


Which way now?


Lake Anna



Virginia fences


Virginia at its very best


Monroe's place


Monticello bridge


Downtown Charlottsville

5 comments:

  1. We'll keep posting comments, just make sure you keep blogging daily so we can enjoy the trip with you, and make sure you end each day safely. It must be so nice to get out of the concrete jungle and be on the open road, surrounded by nature at its best.

    Rest up and fuel up...what's this Hersheys chocolate thing?? Wait till 'de Coach' reads that one!! Oh, and make sure you're in at least 1 photo at each stop - not just the man behind the camera. They'll make a lovely keepsake (to show the grandkids one day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Commonwealth of Virginia is gorgeous and you are right, it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to hop in the car and explore its greatness. I enjoy your journey and find myself looking forward to reading your new adventures each evening. My husband John says “Hey!” and hopes you won’t need to use the pepper spray, not until you reach the woodlands of Colorado! Your photos are great, they too tell a story. However, it would have been fun seeing a photo of you in the diner eating the ham sandwich or devouring the chocolate bars. Don’t’ you all agree?! GO LUIGI GO!!!! Can’t wait to read tomorrow’s blog. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. bellissime le foto e anche le cose che scrivi! Qui tutto bene, tutti ti seguiamo e ti leggiamo e Ozzy si รจ lanciato in una traduzione per Franca e Vito! D'accordo con RQK: fatti fare almeno una photo/day if possible.
    In bocca al lupo x gli Appa! Baci da tutti & cuidate mucho PIUX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bello!...sembra di viaggiare con te. Good luck sugli Appalachians!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Luigi first of all I don’t agree that all men are created equal….some are craziest than others!!!
    Second I saw the picture with the speed limit…..I hope you didn’t exceed the maximum speed limit of 50 :-))
    Third...what are these Hershey Chocolate bars???? I hope is “pure” chocolate and not some junky mish mash of unhealthy stuff!!! Fourth...good luck today with the Appalachian...take it easy and do not overdo!!! You are in holiday....and you need your legs for the next 35 days!!!! Last (but not least) I love your pictures....but I want to see YOU in the picture....everyday, in order to be sure that you are fine and not loosing wiight!!!
    DE COACH

    ReplyDelete