The route

The route

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

DAY 11: Central time!

180 km (111 miles) - total: 1498 km (930 miles)

Bardstown, Ky to Central City, Ky

What a day! I pushed really hard today and I don't know exactly how but all of a sudden I feel I am going places! I am into a new time zone! My watch went back one hour. Washington DC is distant from here. Entering a different time zone implies movement. It is an unmistakable indication that I am making progress and it is certainly a big psychological boost. Dare I say it? Tomorrow night I could be in Illinois...
Another perfect day for cycling, I guess I am being very fortunate. Out of 11 days I had 10 sunny days and two brief showers, both in the late afternoon with most of the cycling already in the bag. No thunderstorms so far. But I know for sure that we will cross paths at some point.

When I got up this morning (5.55) it was still dark outside. I was the first one to get my hands on the meager breakfast buffet and after a double portion of oatmeal I was off. I was on the road at 6.55 with the sun barely out. With a significant amount of today's ride on relatively flat terrain I knew I could go for it. In fact, it has been the fastest day of the trip with the longest distance covered. And with the advantage of the extra hour of Central time zone I was done by 3.45. I thought about pushing on to the next town, 25 miles away, but I decided against it. Instead I prefered to chill, wash my clothes, update the blog and give my legs a breather. For today's ride I decided to leave the designated route and follow the more direct Route 62, which runs parallel to a bigger highway so there wasn't much traffic on it. However, today was the first day of school so I bumped into many school buses. Needless to say the kids went crazy at seeing a cyclist on the road so every time they passed me I had to reply to the many laughs, shouts, and jeers from the young crowd. I got to talk to more locals today during my pit stops. Western Ky feels much more relaxing than its Eastern counterpart. Certainly it seems wealthier and more economically diverse. In the afternoon, I stopped outside a post office in the tiniest village of Rock Port and the postmaster, an amiable lady came outside to offer me a bottle of water and a peanut butter bar. We chatted for a few minutes, I took her picture and was on my way again. I cannot emphasize enough how kind people are around here, not just that they seem more relaxed and more at ease with life but they also enjoy whiling time away by socializing and smiling a lot. I for one, feel welcomed here and given that there aren't many cyclists this time of the year I go noticed by the locals. Not once have I felt threatened or uncomfortable by my surroundings.

While riding hard through the countryside I saw some beautiful horses behind fences, I stopped for a few seconds to get a picture -posted below- I hope it shows the innate elegance of these animals. I think that people around here take great pride in working the land, cultivating the fields, breeding the horses and just respecting the plentiful rewards that nature has to offer. I haven't seen a farm in bad conditions, I haven't spotted a neglected or rotten barn like the many I saw in Eastern Ky. Riding through Western Ky made me realize how hard but also peaceful and rewarding country life can be. This part of the US reminds me of the English countryside. It was actually visited for the first time by an Englishman, Thomas Walker in 1773. This region is called the 'Blue Grass' region as on the fertile land there grows the famous Kentucky bluegrass. This plant has leaves that during certain times of the year have a steel-blue cast. I have also learnt that 3/4 of the land in Ky is used for crops. A lot of tobacco is grown as it is the most important single source of income, followed by corn and wheat. But my ignorance did not allow me to recognize a single tobacco field. Internet came to my rescue and tomorrow I will be looking out for those! My legs feel fine and I could just keep on going and going.

111 miles today and not a single dog attack, just a few faint barks in the distance. I hope the dogs are behind me for good. I've got to say that I was really tired of dog chases and confederate flags. I am really enjoying this side of the world!



Morning dew over Kentucky hills


The sign is still there but the motel was gone


Steam coming out of the water but it wasn't a hot spring


Nashville? Oh yeah!


Elizabethtown


Route 62, I spent all day cycling on it


An old railway bridge


The '10 commandments' sign, I saw 4 of these today


Kentucky horses


This is Jeanne, the postmaster at Rock Port, she kindly offered me a drink and a snack


Central City


Traffic lights at sunset


Highway life

7 comments:

  1. Excuses, excuses so you can cut out early!! Seriously 111 miles! Wow! Now you gone and made me long to visit Kentucky (the Western part that is!) The postmistress is so pleasant looking!!
    You had be scared there a bit when I saw that old motel sign! Very religious in that part of the woods aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luigi!!!
    Your coach is back on your blog!!
    Fighting to connect to Internet.... but today finally I get it!
    First of all I want to tell you that you are amazing!
    You Are just amazing!!!! You have left behind the Appalachians, you have entered in a different time zone and you have almost crossed the second State!!
    What is even more remarkable is that eventhough the difficulties of this kind of trip you Are in such a good spirit!!!
    You have cycled for manyyyy miles, about a third of your journey, your mood seems excellent and your legs also!! You didn't say anything about your knee... ergo I suppose it is in perfect condition!!! I have the impression that you Are also eating healty (at least for the American standard) oatmeal and sandwich with ham Are perfect!! ( enough proteins and carbohydrates) and considering that also the taste is delicious ( you must be' very hungry!!!) it is even good for your mood...(food is soooo important!).
    Now it is imperative you remain focus and in good spirit!!
    I liked your trick to the dogs... I wouldn't try to' do it to' bigger dogs!!
    Do not take useless risks! Luckly you didn' t meet them in your last ride!
    The picture are veryyyy beautiful, as well as the landscape and the horses... You Are not so handsome.... but that's another story!!! Kidding :-))))
    now, to' conclude my post I will make my usual reccomendations :
    be very very careful!!! Listen to your body (and to your coach!)
    but I really think you are doing wonderfully!!!! I am very proud of you!!!
    So .... Dear friends and fans of Luigi join me and send a BIG BIG BRAVO to him!!!! He really deserve it!!!
    Bravooooo Luigi!!!!
    De Coach

    ReplyDelete
  3. bello, a' son di mondi cuntent', xa vut de piò dalla vetta? Take care
    PIUG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mentre leggevo il tuo blog del giorno ho avuto una visione, ti vedo come una locomotiva a vapore lanciata a tutta velocità e dal fumaiolo esce una gigantesca nuvola di fumo bianco che si perde in una immensa distesa verde. Cosa dire finché hai acqua e "carbone" e il fuochista ha morale nulla ti può fermare. Le foto: quella del ponte ferroviario mi ha eccitato la fantasia, mentre mi piacciono molto le foto dei tramonti (sono un romantico) Micio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Coach!! Bravo is right. He's really done well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo is De word! Dude, you are flying like the wind. You are just racking up the miles. Great going! Really proud of you.
    I think today's pics were your best so far. You really captured some great shots. I have three favs thus far..the horsies along with the farm and the river covered by mist. I guess u are right, some of the farmland does look like the English country side. I always admire that.
    So tell me, are u now compelled to listen to Bluegrass music and perhaps learn the Banjo...just curious. Stay there long enough you just might. Thanks for sharing. Be safe and keep it moving.
    P.S. I see that you also made it a point to to take a pic of the Golden Arches..haha. Can't get away from McDonald's. They are just everywhere..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forza amico! Vai benissimo! Un bacione con odore di tango.

    ReplyDelete