The route

The route

Thursday, August 12, 2010

DAY 6 : KENTUCKY!



133 km (82 miles) - total: 869 km (539 miles)

Damascus, VA to Elkhorn City, KY

It may seem like a shortish day distance-wise but it had some nasty climbs so I am satisfied with today's work. I finished my day a few miles into Kentucky, the second State of my transAmerica trip. I thought that I would never see the back of Virginia but finally, after 6 hard-earned days of toiling I was finally crossing states. I am right on schedule and I have 6 days of cycling and climbing hills in my legs. I did not think I was going to polish off Virginia so efficiently. I am in one piece and in great spirits. I look forward to taking on the rest of America. I started the day later than planned as the Inn I took lodge at last night was too comfortable and it was hard to get back on the road. After a huge breakfast I was away at 8.30 and pretty soon hit some serious climbs. I knew I had to deal with at least 2 big steep hills in the morning and one in the afternoon but I chewed 'em up with my eyes on the prize and by 5pm I saw the Kentucky sign and yes!!!...I am done with Virginia. Today I cycled on solitary country roads with almost no traffic at all, I must have seen only a handful of cars all day. I often paused by the side of the road to look around me, the silent hills dotted with wooden barns and farm houses, the rolling green fields, often fenceless around here. I wish I had taken more pictures today, every single corner of this country should be photographed. But given the seesaw of climbs and descents I was very much focused on the job at hand. Often I thought "Ok, let's stop here to take a picture...no no let's keep going a while longer". So the scenery is really imprinted in my memory, the few pictures cannot do justice to the understated beauty of these hills. Entering Ky reminded me that I only have two big climbs left before I part ways with the Appalachians, so this is the good news. The bad news is that the fierce Kentucky dogs are all waiting for me, sharpening their teeth. I was again warned today by local people to brace myself for some serious chasing by barking dogs of all kinds and sizes.
The mountains got steeper and before I reached the Breaks Interstate Park, the road snaked through a deep gorge for about 30 miles. The climb up Hayter's Gap was the toughest ascent of the trip, I ascended 1500 feet over 4 miles. When I got to the top it felt amazing! The views and the subsequent descent made it all worthwhile. I absolutely blasted down the mountain hitting speed of 55kph. There is a considerable degree of risk doing that as a fallen rock, a pothole, a slip, anything in the way is all that it takes to send you flying head first in a ditch or in the middle of the road with a bicycle chained to your feet. That is why it takes maximum focus to cycle down the slope, eyes glued to the road, hands firm on the handlebar and fingers ready to hit on the brakes. I have learnt how to shift my body on the bicycle according to the line of the road, how to pedal putting more pressure on the ankles, the calves, the knees and the hips even. And while I am doing all this I've got America all around me.

Today I did not stop for lunch but rather I had more frequent rest stops eating all sorts of power and chocolate bars. I do not even like power bars, I find them too sweat, so today I started eating those healthy fig biscuits. I walk into a grocery store in my cycling gear, sweat pooring down my face and I supremely enjoy the fat ladies at the counter buried in make-up smiling and puffing a "how'ya doin hon?". There are things that are really "only in America". Certain villages I cycle through belong to a different era, a different world really. Detached from the relentless hussle of big cities and far way from what we consider modern life. I love this feeling, there is a world within our world. Life goes on for everyone, wherever we are. The bicycle is the means with which I am traveling through realities and they are all mine. This is the United States of America, with all the shades of gray in between. These are the people I would never meet. These are the people I don't see. These are the people that exist at the margins of my life and yet, right now and right here they are my life.

I have to admit that the country houses are getting shabbier and run down as I move West. It is a sign that poverty levels increase as well and it is all too visible. Many houses display all kind of rubbish in the front porches. Yards are dotted with old toys and obscure gadgets. Signs of yard sales, garage sales, weekend sales, etc are eveywhere. Owners may sit on the front steps of their trailers. Huge tattooed men barechested stare blankly while chewing and spitting all the time. Women smoke a lot and kids run around barefooted.

West Virginia and part of Kentucky are steeped in coal mining history as coal commerce started as early as 1700s here in Virginia. I was passed by at least fifty coal trucks and tankers today!! it does not make for a fun ride as they roar by without concern often coming within a whisker. I came across two coal shafts and I understand that Virginia even fought a war over control of coal industry.

I wish to conclude today's report by mentioning Mike from Holkorn City who helped me to place the motel. Despite the pervasive poverty, the kindness of locals here is disarming and many enquire about my trip and wish me well.



View from the Breaks Interstate Park


Funny sign


Entrance to a coal Mine


The scenic route 80 cutting through West Virginia

8 comments:

  1. Making excellent progress Lui!! As beautiful as it was, I'm sure you're glad to put Virginia behind you, and now conquer Kentucky and the hell hounds that await you!?!?!? What's up with all the unwanted canine companions that might be nipping at your heels in this state??

    OK Mr Laraia, no excuses next time for the lack of visual evidence that it's actually YOU out there on the open road! How do we know you havent been eaten by natives and all this blogging is a cover up? Ya think I been hitting the movies a little too hard lately or what?? Yeah....I agree!! Seriously though, find the auto timer on that lovely camera and take the pic YOURSELF!!

    Life as usual in my part of the world. Can you believe Alyssa aka lysie...is already crawling, cruising the furniture AND standing up all by herself? She's only just 8 mths old and she wants to run after Ari so badly!! I'm enjoying my last few (sniff..sniff..TOO FEW) weeks of mat leave now. Work beckons in Sept! So enjoy EVERY moment - they go by so quickly. Before you know it, you'll be staring at the wonderous beauty of the Grand Canyon!!

    Laters Lui!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Luigi!! Che meraviglia.. Dalle foto vedo che sei in grande forma e sono felice! Goditelo tutto questo bellissimo viaggio. Io ti seguirò con affetto e grande stima.. Un saluto dalla Puglia e a presto. In bocca al lupo e buon viaggio!! Alessandro Gibo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuses, excuses about not finding someone to take a photo (smile). Loving the pics though. You always take beautiful pics but we need evidence!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Luigi, your report is so rich and detailed that it makes it lovely to participate in such a wonderful adventure of yours. I am just wondering....besides you, is there any human being around? There is none in any of your pics...the only other living beings (apart from the trees) where the thirsty animals in Virginia :)
    Keep going and enjoying your adventure and above all "BE SAFE and take extra care of yourself"! ciao Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Luigi your coach is leaving and going to have his own challenges....I will be sailing across the seven seas for sometimes, so I will not be able to follow you every day. Or at least I will not be able to write every day. Then even if I will not be there to remind you to follow my advices....YOu FOLLOW THEM!!!!!!! I hope I will survive to my adventure against nature and will continue to train you in the future!!!
    NOW all your fans want to see a picture of YOU!!!! So put the autoshoot and show that picture!!! and also some pictures of some local people...the people you meet!
    GOOD LUCK dear Luigi!!!! Take care of yourself and use your head not only your legs!!!DE COACH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Luigi!! You're doing great!!! beautiful pictures and nature. Keep going, we're following you.

    Ciao
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spero che le discese finiscano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!E ho detto tutto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Questo viaggio non è solo un'attraversata dell'America, sta assumendo i contorni di un film d'azione: a noi pantofolai seduti sui divani a leggere delle tue discese a tutta velocità, dei camion che ti passano senza tanto riguardo e dei cani che potresti incontrare, dà un po' di agitazione. Fermo restando che sei il nostro eroe contro tutti stai molto attento e concentrato Micio

    ReplyDelete